The Foundation encourages thoughtful requests from local nonprofit 501(c)(3) health and human service organizations working within our geographic giving area. Projects submitted for consideration should demonstrate strong community needs, have clearly defined objectives and include strategic plans for implementation.
Please be sure to review carefully.
The Foundation is deeply committed to the well-being of all residents of Palm Beach and southern Martin Counties. Funding requests should be targeted to improving the quality of life for the underserved and underprivileged.
The Foundation’s geographic area of concern extends from Delray Beach in southern Palm Beach County to Hobe Sound/Indiantown in southern Martin County and from Palm Beach/Lake Worth in eastern Palm Beach County to the western communities of Belle Glade, Pahokee and South Bay (the Glades). Priority may be given to requests that benefit the residents of Riviera Beach.
Unsolicited applications from agencies headquartered outside of this area will not be accepted.
In determining the merits and priority of an application, particular consideration will be given to:
- The seriousness of the problem and adequacy of the proposed action.
- The degree to which the proposal enables individuals to help themselves.
- The capability of the organization and its personnel to achieve expected results
- The degree of potential benefit to the community.
- The ability for the project to add scale to the organization’s mission or expand the constituency served.
The Foundation’s funding is targeted to help those most in need. Our Funding Categories are focused on organizations and projects that address:
We are primarily interested in projects that benefit one or more of the following populations:
- Children & Families
- Individuals with Special Needs
Grants are awarded primarily for capital needs. Examples include:
- New construction projects
- Building renovations
- Transportation and equipment purchases
- New and upgraded playgrounds and playground equipment
- Office furnishings for expansion projects
- Technology and software
- Medical equipment and furniture
- Educational materials
Grant awards range from $5,000 to $100,000.
In addition, larger requests may be considered for high impact, transformative construction projects. Applicants should contact the Foundation prior to submitting a request for more than $100,000 or for program support.
Requests for general program funding MAY be considered but agencies are encouraged to look to other sources of funding for this type of support.
All organizations requesting support must demonstrate stability and have committed program support. Current financial statements are required. The organization should demonstrate that it has a healthy funding mix and/or is making progress towards diversifying its funding base.
The Foundation welcomes and encourages matching grants and looks for projects that have multiple sources of funding along with strong support from an organization’s board of directors.
Funding commitments are typically awarded on a year-to-year basis. A grant awarded in one year does not guarantee future support.
All applicants must agree not to solicit additional support from individual volunteers representing Lost Tree Foundation before, during or after site visits.
If awarded, you must agree and adhere to the grant conditions.
WHAT WE DO NOT FUND
- Agencies located outside the Foundation’s geographic area
- Grants for individuals
- Grants for municipalities or other governmental units.
- Grants to national organizations unless funds are for the local chapter and will benefit local residents
- Grants to international organizations
- Grants for new agency start-up costs
- Grants to individual public or private elementary, middle or high schools, except for individual charter schools serving special needs children
- Grants for administrative computers
- Grants for seminars and special events
- Endowments or general operating support
- Grants for sectarian or religious purposes
- General animal and environmental programs, except for educational outreach programs
- Grants to lobby legislation or influence public elections
- General grants for arts and theater
- Grants for existing obligations (loans, debts, etc.) or for items that have already been paid for (reimbursement grants).
- The Foundation does not typically provide funding during a time of executive transition.